[Volunteers_fosm] FOSM Project to Fell Smaller Dan Loop's Tree, Wed., July 28

DAN BENTON via Volunteers_fosm volunteers_fosm at mailman.swcp.com
Sun Aug 25 16:46:47 MDT 2019

Hello Everyone,

On Wednesday, August 28, FOSM volunteers will be going back to Dan's Loop on the Crest Highway between 10K Trailhead and Ellis Trailhead. We will probably fell the smaller dead tree with the red needles.

We will split the rounds from the tree that need splitting and haul the wood to the hazmat building.

Meet at 8:00 AM at the FOSM Guard Station behind the Sandia Ranger Station.  Wear long pants, long sleeve shirts, and sturdy boots with slip-resistant soles. Bring work gloves and hard hats. If you do not have a hard hat, one will be provided. Sawyers are required to also wear 8-inch high boots and chaps. Bring eye and ear protection. Swampers working near saws are also required to wear chaps. Bring lunch, snacks, and drinks.

Please park in the north front parking lot in front of the Ranger Station so that there will be more parking space for SRD seasonal employees and fire fighters near the FOSM Guard Station. We will have the JHA in the front parking lot.

(I plan to buck the large tree that we felled last week on Wed., Sept. 4, when our head splitter, Lou Romero, will be working.)***

If you have questions, please email me at samgbeard at msn.com.

Sam Beard, Projects Chair
Friends of the Sandia Mountains

*** Editor's note: head splitter is not the same as head-splitter, so I will leave it as Sam wrote it.  DB