[NMCycling] geeky wheel question

hawke morgan yourstruly at fastmail.com
Wed Nov 25 13:05:21 MST 2020

So,

I am converting to disc.  I have this really cool 18 hole Zipp front tubular rim, which is currently radially laced to a Zipp hub.  How would you recommend that  I lace it up?  Most cross options will not work as there are only 9 spokes per side and 9 is not divisible by 2.  This takes some thinking about, and in my case CAD sketching.   I came up with a couple of options.  See image.  The first one looks very cool but I would have only 3 tension spokes per side (6 total) to resist braking stress.  I came up with option 2 which would give me 6 tension spokes per side (12 total).  Have you heard of other solutions to this problem?

If I go through with this, anyone want to buy an 18h Zipp non disc hub?  With aero spokes?  Bearings are Buttuh.  The smoothest I have ever felt.  Probably Ceramic.

Thanks,

yourstruly at fastmail.com