[Neighbors] Nob Hill Liquor License Ordinance Amendment

Morris J. Chavez via Neighbors_nobhill-nm neighbors_nobhill-nm at mailman.swcp.com
Thu Sep 29 13:57:09 MDT 2016

Susan:

Thank you for your concerns. Let me take a shot an answering some of your questions and concerns and putting some of the rumors and innuendo to rest.

1)      The ordinance DOES NOT have language where it states that a church or school must approve. That language is clearly set forth in Article 2 of  the Albuquerque Code of Ordinances. This proposed change merely provide the opportunity to APPLY for a license. The application for a license is an entirely different process that provides the community protection you seek. The documentation on this was provided at the last Board meeting.

2)      Please see the answer under 1.

3)      The location was determined by the lawyers at City Counsel.

4)      The notion that the “investors” are paying rent in order to keep anyone else from renting is completely ridiculous. The have been renting in hopes of opening a restaurant. Prior to their involvement, it sat empty for many months. Its false rumors such as these that hurt legitimate business interests.

From: Susan Michie [mailto:sgmichie at yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2016 12:21 PM
To: mullens.stephen at gmail.com; masseylaw at swcp.com
Cc: mrenz at cabq.gov; carolyn at nobhillmainstreet.org; awebb at cabq.gov; info at RaginShrimp.com; neighbors at nobhill-nm.com; ChocolateDude at ChocolateDudeABQ.com; cbarkhurst at cabq.gov; theboard at nobhill-nm.com; Morris J. Chavez <mo at saucedochavez.com>
Subject: Re: [Neighbors] Nob Hill Liquor License Ordinance Amendment

Please clarify in the ordinance where it states that 1) they must first get the church or school approval and (2) only then can they apply for a waiver with the Albuquerque Liquor Hearing Officer (LHO). Because I cannot find it. And when I asked the attorneys at the last Board meeting they said it was not required and they had not spoken to the church in this case.

Also, why does the ordinance only apply to Lower Nob Hill? Greg, wouldn't you feel better about your position if it included your end of Nob Hill too? Finally, it is my understanding that some of the investors in this project are paying the rent on this property to keep anyone else from leasing it. If they would post a "for lease" sign maybe someone would rent it who was interested in maintaining the historic facade instead of replacing it with another ugly box with a big patio on top. Susan