[Neighbors] New DeAnza unveiled, Crime and APD substation updates (and more from City Hall)

City Councilor Pat Davis via Neighbors_nobhill-nm neighbors_nobhill-nm at mailman.swcp.com
Wed Jul 19 14:53:02 MDT 2017

Summerfest and Senior Games take place this weekend in District 6

** Updates from City Hall
Councilor Pat Davis represents District 6 on the City Council where he is leading efforts to make Albuquerque a renewable energy city, investing in new city facilities in our International District and a champion for progressive values.

Contact Pat: patdavis at cabq.gov | 768-3152

** Get a sneak peek at the new De Anza
(finally) coming soon!
Eminem and Clay Aiken led the music charts, Friends still "must watch TV" and Martin Heinrich was still a city councilor.  It was 2003 when Councilor Heinrich and the city's Metropolitan Redevelopment Authority first led the effort to purchase and rebuild the dilapidated DeAnza motel.
Almost 15 years later, that dream is finally becoming reality.  Yesterday, I joined the city's MRA staff, Nob Hill neighborhood and Main Street leaders and the new team of local business leaders who teamed up to bring this long overdue dream to reality as a new icon for Central Avenue and Nob Hill.

The project took shape around the vision of local businesses - keeping local dollars in our economy and creating a New Mexico icon, designed by New Mexicans.  Local architects Hartman + Majewski Design Group created the new design to be built by Nob Hill-headquartered HB Construction.  The local Sedberry company is taking the lead role on leasing and Nob Hill's own Griffin & Associates are supporting with marketing.

My big takeaway: after years of planning, local builders, architects, and developers made it work by working together with the Zuni pueblo to create an Albuquerque-led plan prioritizing the protection of sacred Zuni murals while creating a go-to destination for one of New Mexico's coolest neighborhoods.

Take a look at the design previews for the new cafe, restaurant, apartments, hotel and fitness center starting this fall.

** http://krqe.com/2017/07/18/renderings-released-ahead-of-de-anza-motor-lodge-redesign/More from KRQE:
Renderings show plans for De Anza Motor Lodge redesign (http://krqe.com/2017/07/18/renderings-released-ahead-of-de-anza-motor-lodge-redesign/)

** Tackling Issue #1: Crime

http://twitter.com/abqpolice

Crime in Albuquerque is out of control. Addressing it needs a comprehensive strategy that comes from the top down, and I encourage every voter to ask each mayoral candidate what he or she will do and what type of police chief they will hire.

This year, the City Council fully funded 980 police positions - every one APD asked for - along with new funds for rape kit testing, crime scene equipment and overtime for officers already on the street.  Police officer raises have increased 20% since 2010 and APD has doubled the number of officers graduating from each class; all strategies that put us on track to fill every vacant police position by next year.

But we don't have to wait for APD to get to full staffing to put programs in place that can have an impact now.
Here in District 6, I've been working to implement better community policing programs for our neighborhoods with the resources we have at hand.  In just the past few months, I have:
* Worked with Councilors Winter, Sanchez and the Mayor's staff to create and fund almost 20 new property crime investigators which hit the street last month prioritizing those investigations and helping us identify repeat offenders more quickly.
* Used my discretionary funds to purchase a NIBENS system for the crime lab, allowing investigators to run forensic tests on firearms and shell casings recovered from crime scenes and criminals in the same day.  This process used to take weeks and had to be handled out-of-state, letting violent offenders rack up multiple shootings before their crimes were linked.
* Worked with University-area business owners to create a new business-police alliance to proactively address crime trends that put our UNM students and residents in danger.
* Authored and passed a bill to return bicycle patrols to the Central Avenue corridor.
* Organized with Moms Demand Action Against Gun Violence to clean up Wilson Pool to promote safe, violence-free summer programs for kids
* Partnered with Albuquerque Metro Crime Stopper to provide new funds to incentivize tips to turn in illegal guns and gun-related offenders
* Purchased land for a new community policing-oriented area command for APD (see Kathryn & Mateo below)

Clearly our work here isn't done, but if you are encouraged by one or more of these programs, ask your mayoral candidates if they'll support them citywide or send me your own ideas we can discuss together.

- Pat

** Planning for Kathryn & San Mateo site underway

site visit

A few neighbors forwarded me and others some internet rumors that the plans for redevelopment of the Kathryn & San Mateo site were stalled before they started.

Let me set the record straight: the city has taken possession of the lot and planning is underway and on track!

After almost a year of work to acquire and clear the old Parkland Hills Shopping Center site, my office brought together APD's planning team last month to begin the site plan for our new APD Southeast Area Command.  After being abandoned for almost a decade, any progress is welcome but big projects like this take a little time to plan and do well. But, don't worry - we are on track and working hard.

In the coming months, we'll open a process for public input on other uses neighborhoods would like to see on the site.  As always, my office works through our neighborhood associations so be sure you are connected to yours to get updates as we make progress.

Find your neighborhood associationhere. (https://www.cabq.gov/office-of-neighborhood-coordination/neighborhood-homeowner-coalition-websites)
Keeping up with Pat! (http://)
These days, some politicians are going out of their way to avoid being seen meeting with foreign officials - but not me!

I was proud to welcome Global Ties delegates from Croatia, Kosovo, Germany, Cyprus and Albania to Albuquerque and City Hall for a conversation about civil rights and our how our democratic system works (and, sometimes, doesn't!).

In June, I partnered with Councilor Gibson to honor the 41st year of Albuquerque Pride, then marched in the parade!
I also teamed up with our Senior Affairs Department to visit with seniors at the Ed Romero Terrace senior living facility on Central to talk about elder abuse (we also congratulated two great residents who received a "Wish of a Lifetime" - an all-expenses paid trip to an NFL game this fall!)
And last week, I was the only elected official to join the family and friends of an Iraqi-born neighbor who found refuge in ABQ after helping American soldiers liberate his country.  Outside ICE headquarters here in Albuquerque, his family announced that he would seek sanctuary with our local religious community until court cases regarding the status of refugees like him are completed.
Finally, a big shoutout to our friends at the Transgender Resource Center of NM, VSA N-4th Art Center and UNM Truman Health Center for a successful art fundraiser showcasing amazing local artists who support everyone in our community. Thanks for letting me join the festivities!
This weekend, I'll see you all at the Senior Games and our Route 66 Summerfest. Get the full details below and stop me for a selfie!
Follow me on Twitter (http://www.twitter.com/patdavisnm)
AROUND THE CITY (http://)

This Saturday! Route 66 Summerfest in Nob Hill

>From 3 p.m. to 10 p.m., Saturday, July 22, 2017, at Historic Nob Hill.

Located in Historic Nob Hill, Route 66 Summerfest will take place on Central Ave. between Carlisle Boulevard and Girard Boulevard. This free event features fun for the whole family including the Old Route 66 Car Show, Mother Road Art Market, Kids' Zone & Youth Central, food trucks and live entertainment on three stages throughout Nob Hill.

Route 66 Summerfest is free to the public. Pets are welcome on leashes. This is a rain or shine event.

** New Mexico Senior Games This Weekend!

In partnership with New Mexico Senior Olympics, Inc., the City of Albuquerque is preparing to host the 39^th Annual Senior Olympics State Summer Games that will take place on July 19^th through July 23^rd.  More than 1,100 active adults aged 50 and better will compete in 27 sports.  Spectators are encouraged to support these individuals as they compete in a variety of sports, including Archery, Cycling, Pickleball, Swimming, and Track & Field.  Ethel Trimmer is the most senior athlete registered to compete in the state summer games.  Ms. Trimmer is from Santa Fe and has registered in the 95+ age division.

The senior athletes represent more than 25 counties in New Mexico, including over 14 pueblos and tribes.  In addition to New Mexican athletes, more than 30 out-of-state competitors will join us in New Mexico.  For the first time, New Mexico is an open state for the summer games.  This will allow for greater competition and attract more athletes to the state.  New Mexico has been a closed state since the inception of the Games in 1979.  Cecilia Acosta, Executive Director with the New Mexico Senior Olympics, said “Athletes will compete in Albuquerque for five days in five-year age divisions.  2017 is a non-qualifying year for athletes.  In 2018, athletes will qualify to advance to the 2019 National Senior Games that will be held in Albuquerque where 10,000 athletes compete for the gold!”
See the full schedule (free for spectators), including the Track and Field competitions on Saturday where I'll be handing medals out to the winners:

www.nmseniorolympics.org (http://www.nmseniorolympics.org/) .

** Tasty Tuesdays in Hyder Park
Tasty Tuesday is organized by the food trucks, musicians, yoga instructors and other fun-loving minions. It's about people doing what they love in a way that builds community and brings people together out of doors. Please remember to support the organizers whether it's ordering food from a food truck, dancing to the music or finding your flow with the yoga instructor. We love you Nob Hill and all Tasty Tuesday supporters!

Learn more: https://www.facebook.com/TastyTuesdaysABQ/ (https://www.cabq.gov/culturalservices/biopark/events/summer-concerts)

** Zoo Music & Summer Music

General lawn seating for both venues. Blankets, lawn chairs and picnics are welcome, but please do not bring glass containers, sharp knives or alcoholic beverages. Food, beer and wine are available for purchase. Animal exhibits are open until 8 p.m. Events are rain or shine and tickets are available online or at the gate.

** Zoo Music

The Zoo Music concert series showcases regional, national and international talent playing a variety of music, including country, Latin rock, Afro-Cuban, Celtic, bluegrass, Cajun and pop-rock.

** Summer Nights

Summer Nights musical concerts highlight local and regional talent in the beautiful ABQ BioPark Botanic Garden, highlighting folk and Americana sounds.

The 2017 dates for Summer Nights are June 8-August 10.

Learn more: https://www.cabq.gov/culturalservices/biopark/events/summer-concerts

Paid for by Pat Davis, not paid for with taxpayer or campaign dollars.