[Volunteers_fosm] ANNOUNCING JULY 2 FOSM PROGRAM-7PM, SANDIA RANGER STATION

Louis Romero via Volunteers_fosm volunteers_fosm at mailman.swcp.com
Tue Jun 18 07:18:47 MDT 2019

TITLE - SCIENCE VOLUNTOURISM: VOLCANOS TO BEES

PRESENTER - PAULINE HO - Pauline retired from Sandia National Laboratories
after many years as a physical chemist.  She is now happily retired and
spends her time arranging domestic and international travel for herself,
her husband (Rick Buss - another physical chemist retired from Sandia),
friends and family.

ABSTRACT - In the last few years we've been taking trips that I'm calling
Science Voluntourism.  This includes going to Nicaragua for studies of the
Masaya Volcano, to Peru to study Macaws/mammals in the jungle, to Costa
Rica to study caterpillars or collect wild bees, as well as Mongolia,
Joshua Tree NP, and the Galapagos.  For these trips, what we pay covers
travel for the scientists, equipment, housing and food.  We get the fun of
doing scientific fieldwork, but none of the non-fun work of writing papers
or grant proposals.

--
Louis D. Romero
505-275-1570